Earpocalypse Now

I am happy to report that Baby Reid has a brand new ventilation system! Cutting to the chase:

All went well with his ear tube surgery this morning, and we are now ready to get back to baseline health. Just say “no” to drugs, Baby Reid!

Of course I can’t leave it at just that, so here’s the rest of our morning’s adventures.

We had the first appointment with the surgeon for the day: 7:40 a.m. Not too bad, I thought, until the nurse realized that – since Reid is a baby – we would have to do the procedure at the hospital instead of the adjoining surgery center. It pushed our original cushy check-in time from 6:30 a.m. back to 5:30 a.m.


So, I got up at 4:30 this morning, threw on clothes, woke Baby Reid up, changed his diaper, packed him in his carseat, listened to him load up a diaper, unstrapped him from the carseat, changed the dirty diaper, watched him hose down the entire changing pad and pajamas, strapped on a fresh diaper, changed his clothes, threw everything in the laundry basket, restrapped him in the carseat and left for the hospital. Because NOTHING IS EASY… EVER.

But, he did look cute after his outfit change. And I’m like 50% sure he didn’t do it on purpose so…


Even with the delays in morning progress, we still made it to the hospital on time. Promptly at o’dark thirty.

It was just Reid and I. Andy stayed back with Graham to get him off to school when they opened – at 6:30.

I was running on fumes and didn’t realize it. This has been stressful – playing the mommy role in all of this. The scientist in me wants to embrace all the “easiest surgery ever”s and “seriously, no big deal”s. But, as my mom said to me this morning: no surgery is routine when it’s YOUR kid.

Still, I thank everyone who has provided encouragement to that end. It helped, a TON. My logical side was able to keep my emotional side in check.

Back to the hospital: I got Reid all checked in. Papers signed. Credit card swiped. ID bracelets attached.

I had no sooner pulled his stroller up beside a chair when I heard a voice say, “Well THERE’S a familiar face!”

I turned around and saw two of the sweetest people I’ve known in my life. They go to my church. The husband is our head usher. Their smiles are easy and their hugs follow just shortly after. Turns out, the wife was having a procedure done that day.

I could go on and on about this but I’ll just stop and say: God arranged that for me. I have no doubt about that. The emotion I’d been suppressing about this entire surgery came immediately to the surface when I tried to answer their greetings. We talked for awhile about what Reid was having done. Turns out their daughter had had tubes when she was a baby. The wife nodded at me, knowingly and said, “It’s hard, isn’t it?”

This couple sat in the waiting room near me until we got called back to the back. Then we all walked back to pre-op together. There, Reid got all checked out. His weight now? 18.2 pounds. Which means he’s gained 2.2 pounds in less than a month. (!!!) He got his temp taken and his pulse-ox measured.

It was after this that I heard another familiar voice: my pastor, Doug’s, at the nurse’s station, asking after the couple I’d met in the waiting room. (Remember they were from my church? He was there to visit them!) I pulled back the curtain and said, “HEY!” So we sat and caught up. He prayed over us, and then ran to catch the other two.

Shortly thereafter, Andy arrived after dropping Graham off at school.

Daddy’s are the bestest.

This is where the waiting game really began. And guess what? Doug came back!

We hung around past our 7:40 a.m. scheduled appointment. Around 8:00 or so, Reid started to a get a little “Why haven’t you FED me yet, GUYS?!?!” and Doug offered to walk him around a bit.

He got Reid right into a zombie-like state. What a natural!

At 8:10 a.m. Reid’s ENT came to say “hi”, then about 5 minutes later, the anesthesiologist came to take him back to the O.R. Literally, we had time to update Facebook before the ENT came into our room with drops in his hand and said, “He’s so cute back there. His little hands are folded over his chest like this…” and then he did a little Reid impression and handed me the drops. We kinda looked at each other confused for a minute and the doc said, “We’re done! He did great!”

Ha! I thought he’d forgotten to tell us something and came back to see us before the surgery for some reason.

A few minutes later, a nurse came and picked us up to take us to recovery. We walked in and Reid’s bed had three nurses standing over it, smiling. He was laying in bed, still asleep. A little rosy-cheeked angel.


I know. Doesn’t that picture just break your heart looking at it? He was fine though. Just a few minutes later, he was up and wanting mommy and daddy. We had his bottle ready and commenced the most important part of recovery – the FOOD. 😉

He finished his bottle, his RN took his temperature, we packed him in the carseat and strolled right on out of the hospital.

In fact, kinda funny. There was another couple who was in the hospital that morning as well. The man, apparently, was the one having the procedure. We ran into his wife on our way out. She asked really sweetly how everything went, then she said that she couldn’t beleive what an awesome baby he was – being so good (napping even!) in the waiting room when he hadn’t eaten. She rolled her eyes and said her husband was sitting in the waiting room complaining about how hungry he was, and she said, “HEY. That baby hasn’t eaten either and he’s managing to keep it together!!” Don’t mess with Texan wives, man. They will give you WHAT FOR. :)

All said, we get back to the beginning. The procedure is done, and Baby Reid is doing great! I’m glad to have this behind us and look forward to less pain and more comfort in our future!

OH YEAH. And by the way…

Whaaaaaaaaaat?!? When did he start doing this?!


  1. Beautifully written Debbie! Yes routine surgery is always anxiety ridden when it involves someone you love. We were thinking of you all morning. I believe it was Divine intervention that helped you get through it. That Reid is such a trooper!  The sitting up– I saw that coming last weekend…  He’s growing up so fast!

  2. Been there. Done that. Didn’t envy you this week. I remember barely being able to wipe away
    my tears when they took my baby back before they came out and said everything went well. In hindsight, it really is an easy procedure and a no-brainer of a decision, but it doesn’t make it any easier to see your everything asleep in a hospital bed. Glad he did great and glad he can start feeling better. FINALLY!

%d bloggers like this: