Packing it In

It’s really trippy getting ready to leave a place for good. And, to be honest, it feels pretty awful. Painful, even. Life is pretty consumed by “last” everythings and goodbyes. The closer we get to the actual move, the better I feel because I know we’re closer to hello’s and the thrill of starting everything new.

Blame my long line of pastor blood, but I’m wired for analogy. I can’t help but think of labor & delivery. Because it is a LOT like that. But I’ll spare you of anything more than that reference.

There *is* a story worth telling here, though. Let’s just glimpse at what the last few weeks have brought.


Our first garage sale! We had our semi-annual community garage sale scheduled for two weeks prior to the move. As annoying as garage sales might be, we couldn’t resist. We had a great turnout. Couldn’t move our extra golf clubs, though. Even with our little Jack Nicklaus [pictured above] offering free demos.


We listed the house on the market on the Monday following the garage sale. We had a showing that afternoon and an offer from that buyer first thing the following Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon, we showed the house to a second buyer and, on Wednesday morning – when we were in the process of volleying counter-offers with the first buyer – the second buyer offered a competing bid.

Our realtor went back to both buyers, let them know that they were in competition, and each had a chance to come back with their “highest and best” offers. We took the better one. The end. House sold!

And… during all of this on Wednesday, our house was still listed – Day 3 on the market – and we had four additional showings that day during the bidding wars! So we camped out at Chick-Fil-A to give our additional interested people some space, even after we had a working contract. A very heady process.

Good stress, but stress just the same!

Above picture shows the boys fighting over remnants of waffle fries, oblivious to it all.


Last Friday, I said “good-bye” to my friends and work family for good. It was a hard week. I’ve got stories of sweet farewells and final laughs together, but this part was immeasurably difficult.

In the words of Forrest Gump: That’s all I have to say about that.


Saturday, we celebrated a friend’s recent wedding at her home in McKinney. I got to see Don and Wynn, our long lost worship leader and his wife there. God is amazing. Thank you for connecting us all one last time before we parted for the long term.

As for our extended church family, we got a chance to say farewell at Sunday service. We took both boys to the actual service and soaked in our last time there. More goodbyes…


Later that afternoon we returned to our shiny new youth building for the Fall Festival. Both boys, again, rocked their costumes. Winnie the Pooh and Tigger (not pictured) may not be the most creative of Halloween costumes, but I really couldn’t think of more fitting caricatures of the boys’ personalities right now.

Oh, bother.


Meanwhile this past week has been filled with cleaning and sorting our household items into three categories:

  1. Need this week.
  2. Can live without this week, but need in the next 3 months. (To add to the fun, we’ll be in an apartment over Christmas. So we need Christmas decorations and the like.)
  3. Can live without for 3 months.

Quite the process. It makes one turn a discriminating eye to what one actually needs to raise a baby. I’m here to tell you: not much! (Although, to be fair, Reid is getting to be more of a toddler. What?! LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!)


To spare our sensitive pup from this moving chaos, we had the sweetest offer from someone at Andy’s work to keep Hugo for us over the next few days while the house is being packed. We dropped him off last night and will collect him right before we leave town on Saturday. I was floored by the generosity of that offer. People are so awesome!



That brings us to today! Today is the first day we have the movers on site to pack us up. Joe and John arrived at 8:30 this morning and have been working nonstop to get this place stowed away securely. Joe and John are my heroes.

We’ll be able to stay here just one more night, but tomorrow they’ll be back to finish the job. Then we will be 100% in boxes.

What about the kids, you ask?

They’re handling things OK so far. Reid is obviously oblivious. Graham was unsettled by the fact that I’d removed his curtains and replaced them with blinds yesterday. Was almost unable to go to sleep because the different look scared him a bit in the dim light.

Tonight, now that his room is entirely packed except for his bed sheets, we have an air mattress ready to put on the floor of our bedroom. Just call it a hunch. 😉

Tomorrow, Halloween, while our house is being finished by the packers, it will be the boys’ last day at school. After school, we’ll don Halloween costumes, trick-or-treat with our friends, The Pratts, then we’ll stay the night at a hotel before loading day Friday.

Friday, the boys and I are going to have a fun day doing nothing of substance. Just fun and being together while Andy supervises the truck-loading process at the house. Friday night, we stay at the hotel again, and Saturday morning, we’ll get Hugo and head our for Kansas City to stay at Grandpa and Grandma’s before heading to our final destination: Wisconsin!

Whew! Raise your hand if you followed all that! Great! Now bend your arm and pat yourself on the back if you’re glad you’re not us right now!!

Thought so. :)

%d bloggers like this: